Seattle, Washington – A 71-year-old mother visited her daughter, who runs a horse boarding and riding facility, and spent two days with her daughter grooming and riding horses. After the visit, the horse the unidentified mother rode became sick with nasal discharges and was lethargic, so the daughter gave it antibiotics until it recovered.
The daughter developed a sore throat and runny nose, but sought medical attention and recovered quickly. Her mother developed far more severe symptoms. She developed symptoms of an upper respiratory infection, but then began vomiting and had diarrhea. 4 days after spending time with the horses, the mother was found unconscious in her home, rushed to the hospital, and died later that day.
The horse and daughter were swabbed for bacteria and found to have S. zooepidemicus. S. zooepidemicus is fairly common with horses, but is also found in unpasteurized milk, cows, rabbits and pigs. Human infection of S. zooepidemicus is rare, but of the 32 known human infections, 7 have died. The average age of those who died was 61-years-old.
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends washing your hands with soap and water after being in contact with horses or where they are housed. You can read the CDC report on their website.Author: Dale Williams <-- Become my friend on Facebook! - Phone: 724-964-6773
You May Also Like -