Assateague Pony Dies from Dog Food

Chama Wingapo, mare who died from eating dog food.
Chama Wingapo, mare who died from eating dog food.

Salisbury, MD – An Assateague pony was found dead by park officials at the Assateague Island National Seashore.  The pony was identified as 7-year-old N2BHS-AI, or Chama Wingapo, and was found dead in the campground.

A necropsy showed that Chama Wingapo had eaten a large quantity of dog food, which caused a blockage, resulting in her intestine rupturing.  “Sadly, this incident demonstrates that a fed horse is a dead horse,” said AINS Chief of Interpretation and Education Liz Davis. “While the dog food may not have been given directly to the horse, the dog food was not properly stored away from the horses and other wildlife. All food, including your pet’s food, must be properly stored. This tragic incident could have been prevented by simply storing pet food in a vehicle.”

Chama Wingapo, mare who died from eating dog food.
Chama Wingapo, mare who died from eating dog food.
Author: Dale Williams <-- Become my friend on Facebook! - Phone: 724-964-6773

Comments

You May Also Like -